Monday, November 30, 2009

The Gift

Bekah asked for a "fixie" or a fixed gear bike for Christmas this year, so Rich and I were on the hunt for one. She said she didn't care if it was new or used, she just had an idea of what she wanted it to look like and the preferred color was kewi green. Other than that, she was pretty open.
I began doing research on the web, looking at new bikes and craigslist as well. I soon realized that there was SO much information out there I wasn't sure what to get her. She has a cruiser bike now, but this is a road bike. Bekah has been exploring doing a triathlon too and we wanted to get her a bike she could have versatility with. Of course, we know very little when it comes to the specifics of it all. Luckily for us, our neighbor 2 houses down builds bikes, races bikes and is all things 2 wheels. I walked down to her house with my laptop in hand (to show her what I found) to ask a few questions. In return I got a wonderful education on bike types, fixies, the fixie culture and a bike! Yes, I left her house with an amazing vintage 12 speed Schwinn road bike. She was so kind. She said that someone had brought her the bike gave it to her for free and she was happy to pass it along to someone who would use it. She changed the seat, she added a new tube for the tire, and put air in the tires. She said she would be happy to make it into a 1 speed or even a fixie if we wanted, but to let Bekah try it out as is first. For those of you who don't know (I didn't) a fixie is a Fixed Gear bike, meaning no gear changing and the pedals don't stop turning. Our neighbor said they can be very challenging to ride in a city area... however, they are very popular and driving a culture of "fixie" riders for transportation. She was so kind and asked for nothing in return. Her passion is bicycles and she was happy to be able to share her passion with someone who was interested. What a wonderful gift.
I need to also add, this isn't someone we talk to frequently or has she ever been to our home for dinner, for the last few years, she has been a neighbor that we wave at when we are driving by. Sadly, I probably have not talked to her in a couple of years. That is sad and really embarrassing for me. It is so easy to get caught up in our day to day lives, isn't it? I am so glad I decided to knock on her door. We ended up talking for about 3 hours. It was a wonderful visit and an amazing gift, not just the bicycle but reconnecting with our neighbor. I read a friend's blog today about turning the filters off..you can read it HERE. A great reminder to turn the filters off and go knock on that door, make eye contact as "Moms Daily Retreat" blog so wonderfully states. There is no better time than now.



Peace & Love,
Kim

2 comments:

amelia said...

I am so curious what a fixie is, I am going to have to "google" this :)
So glad you got to reconnect with a neighbor, it's so easy to keep our heads down and stay busy, but looking up and connecting really is a blessing. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I ate too much!

Madison said...

Love it! I am getting a new bike for christmas and am going with the vintage style! I found the perfect one at walmart!