Sunday, June 29, 2008

Missing Zack

This morning I woke up really missing Zack. I hope he calls soon. I miss him all the time, but this morning was especially hard as I expected to hear from him by now. I want to hear his voice. In my heart I know that he is doing well and I know he is right where he needs to be. When he was on medical for his shoulder, he couldn't wait to get back to the field and when he spoke about listening to stories from the Sergent Major, I could hear the excitement, the commitment and how proud he is to be a Marine when he shared those stories with me.
I am so proud of Zack and the commitment he has made, not only to our Country but to himself. To push himself beyond limits, to live by the Marine's core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment in everything he does.
From the little redheaded boy holding a baseball bat for so many years to a strong Marine now holding his rifle, swearing to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.... he is an amazing young man and I am so proud to be his Mother. Zack has taught me so much, he has taught me to really let go, don't just go through the motions, but really let go... we have raised our children to be independent thinkers, to discover and explore all aspects of life and we can't protect them from everything, nor should we. After Zack went to boot camp, I realized I "acted" like I was letting go, allowing Zack to make mistakes, letting him learn on his own.... but my words did not always back that up. Looking back, too often (because of worry and because as a Mother we protect our children) I probably lectured too much and "preached" too much when all he really needed from me was a hug and to hear I love you. Zack taught me to challenge my own beliefs, he is incredibly intelligent and funny, he has heart of love and compassion, he is loyal to his friends and family. Zack, we all miss you, we love you and we are so very proud of you. I look forward to each and every story, every update, and every thought you share with us as you continue to embark on your life's journey. Semper Fi.
(The picture above was taken on a train to Savannah, GA. in 2003. The picture below was at Zack's USMC Boot Camp Graduation, April 24th, 08)

Update: This same afternoon we heard from Zack. Rich asked Zack if he was done with Combat training... his exact words were "Hell Yeah" He called to let us know that he was done in NC and everything is going well. He is not having any issues with his shoulder and he will be in Pensacola on Tuesday. Zack and Rich talked about all the weapons he learned how to use... Zack didn't share those details with me. He was upbeat and sounded great! We are hoping to go visit him in Pensacola over the July 4th weekend. Once Zack gets to Pensacola he will let us know what's next.

No comments: