Saturday, September 13, 2008

Celebrating 21 years!

Rich and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary last night. Often times we go out of town for our anniversary but this year we decided to stay home and go out for a nice dinner. It was a perfect evening. We went to Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge Resort. We arrived early for our reservation so we could try to get a window seat overlooking the waterfall, although we did not get one of those seats, we did get by a window. Our menus were printed with "Artist Point Wishes The Mills Party A Magical Anniversary" it was a nice touch. The restaurant was very nice and the food was amazing! As I was enjoying my Cedar Plank Roasted Pacific Wild King Salmon with Pear and Chipeta Potato Truffle, accompanied by a glass of Kiona Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Mountain '06 and Rich taking in the flavors of his Seared Jumbo Day Boat Scallops with Hazelnut Butter Potatoes, Brentwood Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, and Preserved Lemons with his glass of Columbia Gewurztraminer, Columbia '06,
I commented... we have come a long way from those "Fry Daddy" days! Rich then looked at his scallops and said.. Oh! I bet this would be good in a Fry Daddy! He's always thinking.
It doesn't seem like twenty one years, it really doesn't. When I sat across the table from Rich last night I thought, "Wow, how lucky and I to be married to my best friend." I love being with him. After twenty one years, last night I still hoped I looked okay for him, wanted to plan a perfect evening and wanted to make sure that Rich was happy, as that makes me happy. There are some differences now that we are in our 40s, we have worked hard for what we have and appreciate what life has to offer, treating ourselves to new experiences, trying new things. What I appreciate most about my marriage is that Rich and I have grown together. We grew up together, learning, understanding, supporting each other and challenging our own thoughts and beliefs that we were raised with to really figure our who we are. We don't agree on everything, but we respect each other's opinions and learn from each other. What a wonderful journey...
Oh and after 21 years, I learned that Rich doesn't really like Peach desserts, who knew, something new all the time.
After dinner we took a walk around the resort grounds and headed back to the car.
A simple, relaxing, enjoyable evening.
Perfect.

No comments: